Here’s an additional update from Compassion regarding the hurricane’s effects on Haiti and the Dominican Republic…
Compassion Haiti has provided more information regarding the impact of Hurricane Sandy.
Disaster Alert: Hurricane Sandy (Haiti)
- Nationally, flooding waters have decreased but communication and transportation remain difficult.
- An additional 584 children from seven ICPs have been affected. These families have had their homes damaged or destroyed. As well, their gardens have been damaged and farm animals have been lost. Personal belongings have also been lost.
- Currently, 1336 children from 32 Implementing Church Partners (ICPs) have been affected.
- As well, the homes of five Child Survival Program (CSP) families from HAC38 Croix Hilaire Child Survival Program and four CSP families from HAC59 Bainet Child Survival Program have been affected. The homes of these families have been damaged.
- Water and emergency food items have been distributed to affected families.
- Currently, Compassion Haiti is using Complementary Interventions (CIV) reimbursable disaster funding.
- The country office continues to monitor the situation and will provide more information as it becomes available.
Also, the other side of the island of Hispaniola … the Dominican Republic has likewise suffered serious damage from the storm:
Disaster Alert: Hurricane Sandy (Dominican Republic)
- Compassion Dominican Republic has submitted information regarding the impact of Hurricane Sandy on October 26, 2012.
- Currently, 378 children from five ICPs in the southwestern region have been affected. The homes of these families were damaged or flooded. These families also lost personal belongings.
- The roofs of DR-455 Peniel Student Center and DR-800 El Buen Pastor Student Center were damaged during the hurricane.
- Compassion Dominican Republic has shared preventative and relief measures with all Partnership Facilitators (PFs). The PFs are working directly with the ICPs and affected families.
- Currently, Compassion Dominican Republic is using CIV reimbursable disaster funding.
Please pray for the families who have been affected by Hurricane Sandy.
Compassion Dominican Republic will keep us updated as more information is available.