Ray Johnston, the Senior Pastor at Bayside Church in Granite Bay, California posted a wonderful, short, article a few days ago following the shootings in Newtown, CT. I hadn’t seen it until another friend reposted it on his blog site, here. I think it’s a wonderful response to the indescribable evil that took place.
A Message from Pastor Ray:
Today is a heartbreaking day. Our nation experienced the second worst school shooting in American history. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and everyone affected by this senseless tragedy. I, like all Americans, am devastated.
During tragic times like this there is inevitably a mad scramble for clarity. How could this happen? Why would a good and loving God let this happen? Who’s to blame for this senseless violence?
The problem – Shallow Christian clichès fall short and ultimately Clarity never comes…because at best, we see ‘through a glass dimly…’ During times like this we think we need Clarity when what we really need is Certainty.
I am certain that this senseless act breaks the heart of God because…
- I am certain that God understands what it means to lose a son.
- I am certain that every one of todays victims was precious to God
- I am certain that God is near to the brokenhearted
- I am certain that no life ever is devoid of meaning no matter how short.
- I am certain that Jesus meant it when he said, “Let the little children come to me”.
- I am certain that life is precious and that every day with your kids is a gift.
- I am certain that America needs to rediscover a reverence for life.
- I am certain that a day is coming when suffering will cease and God will reign.
- I am certain that when anyone closes their eyes here for the last time and wakes up in the arms of Jesus – they will be more alive than they have ever been.