Last night my wife was going to be late coming home from the city, but she had already planned to make Sloppy Joes to use up some Quick Sale hamburger buns she’d bought a few days earlier.
I wanted to surprise her with the meal all ready, but I had no idea how she’d done it before (I think it was with some kind of package of spice), so I went online and search for “Sloppy Joes”.
I found a recipe, but as usual, I don’t follow the instructions very well. 🙂 The result, however, was a hit! So here goes…
Murray’s Tasty Sloppy Joes…
Original recipe said it makes 6 servings, but around our house it barely made for 3 – 4 servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard (roughly)
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3 heaping dessert spoons of brown sugar
- some Club House Cajun Spice (I’m guessing at about 1 to 2 T)
- some ground black pepper (a generous amount)
- a few shakes of crushed chili peppers
- 1 cup of water
- 5 hamburger buns
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef and drain off the fat.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients (except buns, obviously!); mix thoroughly.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve over hamburger buns
(Original recipe can be found here.)