This Christmas, my wife had a group of ladies (and 1 man) over for dinner. I have never seen so much food in all my life for 9 people!!! One of the ladies brought a dessert that was to die for. This is the recipe she was nice enough to send to us the next day. You will *LOVE* it!!!
Chocolate mousse cheesecake
- 1 pkg chocolate wafers
- 1 cup chocolate wafer crumbs (buy separately or crush wafers, leaving out about 14 whole)
- 1/3 cup melted butter or margarine
- 12 oz. Cream cheese
- 3 egg yolks beaten
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups melted choclate chips
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 l tub Coolwhip
- Grease 10 inch springform pan well.
- Melt butter and mix with crumbs. Spread over bottom of pan.
- Place wafers standing around outside of edge (my pan uses 14 wafers), pressing them into the crumb base so they will hold.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- All to cool.
- Blend cream cheese, egg yolks, 1/3 cup sugar and melted chocolate chips.
- Separately, beat egg whites until foamy and add 1/3 cup sugar. Beat until glossy.
- Fold in cream cheese mixture by hand
- Fold in 1 cup Coolwhip and pour into prepared pan.
- Cover with remaining Coolwhip.
- Decorate with marachino cherries, chocolate crumbs or chocolate curls if desired.
(this can be done before freezing or at time of serving)
- Cover with foil and freeze.
- Defrost 1 ½ to 2 hours before serving.
- Turn out of pan and serve on a pretty plate.
(I find I often can’t get it off the bottom of the springform pan and have to put it on the plate with the pan bottom still attached. Sometimes covering the bottom of the pan with foil at the beginning before baking and sliding it off on to the plate at serving time works!)
I haven’t actually tested this recipe yet, but it tastes like it had about 12 POUNDS of cream cheese in it, not 12 ounces!! Yummy!!!